- 6 large potatoes, peeled.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter.
- 1/4 minced onion.
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste.
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste.
- Chives or red pepper flakes to taste or seasoning.
- 6 sheets phyllo dough.
- Boil potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Mash in a large basin.
- Sauté the onion in 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter, until translucent and soft not brown.
- Add to mashed potatoes with broth, salt, pepper and spices.
- Mix well.
- Melt remaining butter.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Layer 3 sheets of phyllo dough and cut in half. Repeat with remaining 3 sheets.
- Spoon 1 cup of potato mixture on each section of phyllo, mould into a large ball and position at one end of strip of dough.
- Roll ball along the length of phyllo, folding dough over bottom of filling and leaving some filling showing through the top.
- (Trim and remove excess dough.) Brush melted butter over edges of knish to close the seams and press down onto an un-greased baking sheet.
- Do again with remaining ingredients.
- Cook in the oven 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
New York Recipes