For the Hollandaise sauce:
- 2 English muffins.
- 4 thick slices of Canadian bacon (good smoked ham would be a appropriate substitute).
- 4 Eggs.
- Hollandaise sauce.
- 3 large egg yolks.
- 225 grams unsalted butter.
- 3 large tablespoons cold water.
- 1 teaspoon recently squeezed lemon juice.
- Ground white pepper.
- Salt to taste.
- To make the hollandaise, dissolve the butter to just lukewarm.
- Put the egg yolks and water into a thick bowl over a pot of warm water on a low heat. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water.
- Using a whisk beat the eggs and water briskly until it becomes thick and foamy.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the melted butter, a little at a time.
- Add the lemon juice, season with salt and white pepper and keep the sauce lukewarm.
- Simmer the eggs in shallow water a little below simmering point.
- Grill the bacon or ham.
- Split, toast and then butter each muffin half.
- Lay a slice of bacon or ham trimmed to fit the muffin, then a poached egg on each muffin and then spoon over some Hollandaise sauce.
- Serve the remaining sauce in a jug for extras.
New York Recipes