- 2 clams.
- 4 cups of cold water.
- 1/2 cup of boiling water.
- 1 cup of potatoes cut in half inch cubes.
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped.
- 1/4 cup of diced celery.
- 1/4 pound of salt pork, cut fine.
- 1 cup of stewed or canned tomatoes.
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme.
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.
- 1/2 cup of carrot cubes cut 1/2 inches.
- Drain the clams well.
- Put into a kettle with the boiling water, cover firmly, and steam quickly till the shells are opened.
- Remove the clams from the shells and chop, chopping the hard part finely, leaving the soft part large.
- Reserve the clam liquor. In the interim, put the potatoes, carrots and celery into a kettle with the cold water and simmer 15 minutes.
- Try out the pieces of pork, add the onion, and cook slowly 5 minutes.
- When the vegetables have cooked 15 minutes add the clams, the clam liquor, tomatoes and thyme.
- Cook one hour. Add the pork and onion and boil 30 minutes longer.
- Add the pepper and more salt if required.
- Serve with pilot crackers.
- Note: Any considered necessary vegetable or herb may be added.
New York Recipes